Friday, May 4, 2012

Water

12050403cobble-beach
Like a lot of bloggers, I check my stats. I like to see who visits, and where they are from. Recently, I had a hit from Nigeria. Curious, I followed the link to the image, and it was one I’d posted of my husband, waist deep in a frigid Lake Superior; he was fetching the days drinking water. I remember posting that snap, thinking it was funny, as in, ‘see how much we’re roughing it, we have fetch water from the lake’.
Re-imagining the image from a Nigerian perspective, makes me think differently of the whole scene. It changes the subtext of the image in a significant way, from an amusing camping brag to a luxury.  What a privilege it is to be able to stand waist deep, or be completely immersed in drinking water that stretches in volume from horizon to horizon.  Amazing what a change in perspective can do.
Photograph of fetching water from Lake Superior
12050402cobble-beach72
12050401cobble-beach72
Three images are Cobble Beach, linocut relief, with watercolour. Last year we camped on the cobble beach and we spent an enormous amount of time just watching the waves roll in and crash.  I haven’t posted these on Etsy yet, but there where 6 reduction linocuts done, and I posted my favourite there (3 others went to Australia as part of an exchange). Reduction Linocut of Cobble Beach

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

A lovely piece of art and Yes, it is easy to take all sorts for granted.

Jenny B. said...

I get visits from overseas too, and I always enjoy it--the more obscure the country the better. I love the feeling of connection that the internet makes possible, and trying to understand the perspective of the visitor.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Chrissy.
And Jenny, it is interesting, but I noticed that my own view is restricted to 'my own kind'. An embarrassing fact. I've never looked at a Nigerian blog, or anything from Africa, China, Iran or Japan. Only Canada, USA, United Kingdom (I think I hear WASPS buzzing about). I've been thinking of the filter bubble, and trying to break out, but that would be another post...

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I do the same thing and often wonder what brought them to my site and if they stayed...

Beautiful interpretation. I love it....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin