Friday, June 8, 2012

Storm in Coloured Pencil

12060801storm72
Coloured pencil, 11”x14”
I don’t think I’m done with these colours yet, there is still more of the spring season to capture. The landscape is still green and lush, the colours are intense, and when clouds move in, they are voluptuous with rain. Oddly enough, for all their threat, we haven’t had a storm yet.  I’m still completely fascinated by the treed area, so I will probably be doing a close-up, enlargement of that next.  Working with a photograph was different. Once again, got tempted into too much detail, but pulled away.  While I was working on it, I was not happy, and felt it was all coming out wrong, but kept going. I was determined to push the burnishing technique as far as it would go, so that part was interesting, but I did get some of the reds more muddied than I wanted. I was disappointed by the indigo stick, as when I went into burnishing the pigments clumped into blackish blobs.
This morning when I looked at the work once again, liked it, so I spent some time lightly scraping off the clumps, and burnishing more of the surface so it all looks like fresh oil paint.

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

if i could send some of the rain here there, i would. some parts are starting to flood :/

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

There is such a sense of interconnectedness amongst the earth and the air here. Beautiful!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, we got it. Very nice, the grass is green, the flowers are growing.
Thanks for checking in Michelle. More Hugs to you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin