Friday, July 27, 2012

Midnight Stag

12071901stag2c72b
Midnight Stag: 10.5x10.5 inches, coloured pencil on paper.  For details, click image, and click again on picture to get extreme close-ups. 
This one and Raven and Sun was done for submission to AWOL Gallery’s Square Foot Show.  I found working in square format led me to a more mythic/primitive subject matter.
When I began Midnight Stag, I had no particular colour scheme in mind, just a quick sketch on the page. Recent events happened when I was still forming my opinion, and Midnight Stag it became as I allowed darker elements to take over.
Both will be available and on display at the Square Foot Show from August 4th to 19th in Toronto. I hope to make it down to the gallery myself, as this is an open show (not curated) and therefore a VERY eclectic collection. I’ve seen previous shows on-line, and it seems to bring in an eye-searing variety—and that’s a compliment.  It looks to me like all artists use it to show off who they are and what they are about rather than try to ‘impress’ an audience, judge or jury.  So I want to see it just to observe the million different directions artists will take when not strapped to an agenda.

2 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Stunning... And it would floor you to see this in light of a story I have been working on... I think this is a new favourite!

kaslkaos said...

Heh, heh, thank you. I remember you saying your writing is going well, but having some trouble with the visuals. Well, here I am tongue tied. There was 'stuff' I wanted to say about Midnight Stag, but, well, it didn't come out. Hmmm... now for guessing your story...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin