Tuesday, July 24, 2012

More Ravens, Crows, Global Warming and a Pretty Blue T

12072201raven-sun72
Another Raven and Sun. This one is a  10.5” square coloured pencil, done for entry in a square foot show. I just keep doing them. I’m beginning to understand how some artists can become obsessed with one re-occurring theme. I’m certainly not done with ravens yet, as they continue to fascinate me, and here at home where ravens are a rare sight (whoot, once this year I heard and saw one soaring over Musselman’s Lake-YAY!), I’ll settle for crows. We’ve had crow visitors to our home for the first year ever in spring.  And up close, like on our veranda railing, they are really big impressive birds too. And in the way that sentient creatures recognize each other, they also have a huge amount of presence.
The crows at home, I discovered, where initially attracted to the pet fur cage that I have hanging up with the bird feeders. That is a suet cage (wire basket) that I fill with collected dog and cat fur, and sometimes yarn scraps and my own hair. Goldfinches love the fluffy kitty fur best, and chickadees work very hard to pull tiny tufts of dense german shepherd dog fur, but my own hair, alas, is not much loved by them.  In spring, a pair of crows found the hair cage, and I swear I could see the thrill on finders face. Look, soft, warm, nesting material! They practically emptied it, those two, although there is always more fur on hand, mostly in my carpet.  And while I’m not sure if they are responsible for emptying the cage this week, it was quickly replenished by an obliging dog (Dynamo) and domestic long-hair cat (Riker).
On Sunday, we had more global warming is slapping me in the face weather and by the afternoon I was sweating lying in the shade. Under those circumstances, I decided the best use of my time was to engage in some suburban bird-watching, sometimes with my eyes closed. Which worked out just fine, as when I heard an unusually large clatter of feathers, I opened them, and there was a huge black crow roosting in the neighbours pine tree, panting in the heat, and generally looking around. I got to observe him or her (they know the difference, and that’s all that’s important) for a good twenty minutes,  and then my eyes closed. Later, that crow provided a major distraction to my guitar practice, as he landed on the veranda railing, although  he mysteriously passed on the offered peanuts and the cooling water from out fountain. So my guitar playing, mistakes and all, is crow approved at least.
raven-t-shirt-pose72ravens-at-play-tshirt72
And here’s me in my garden, the tiny hosta nook that I refer to as my ‘secret’ garden.  If you click on the pic, you can see a bigger me (bug bites and all) and the Ravens at Play t-shirt as posted at my Etsy shop. It’s a carve I did last winter, but never got around to posting.  Also, the me pic shows you what the results of smart mowing “smowing” (<—yes, made that term up). The summer has been hot and dry excepting the occasional thunderstorm and there is many a burnt brown lawn in the neighbourhood. We do NOT water our lawn, but my husband checks the forecast, and only mows if rain is expected for the next day. So far his timing is excellent, and also, he mows high. I’m standing in a freshly mowed section and you can’t see my feet. AND, not only do we have a cordless electric mower, but one of our neighbours has been inspired to do the same. Maybe you can change the world one person at a time.
And for those of you who can’t understand why this warm weather has me really freaked out read Bill McKibbens wickedly sarcastic article, The Global Warming Hoax. How all this seems to go unnoticed, or in the Canadian case, actually CELEBRATED, I have no clue. I guess folks up here dream of growing palm trees in Kenora.

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

the raven looks like he is on fire, very nice :)

lots of rooks and crows around here, you do get the odd raven, but there are a lot of rooks. had to call the sspca when we saw a rook get attacked by a cat. its mate chased the cat off but it was too hurt to fly. was a little annoyed at the animal officer because she acted like its only a bird, but it still desearves help, even if it was only to end its pain. wish people would keep their cats inside or put a bell on them more :/...oops sorry off topic:p

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

You know what comes with the palm trees? Poisonous snakes, black widows and brown recluse spiders, fever carrying ticks and all the stuff that a good winter kills off. We are infested here with two generations because the last one survived the winter.

I live in the State with the senator with his head up his a.... And I know why, but, a serious food shortage driving prices up shatters the benefits of any jobs created.

We have to water our foundation or risk severe damage to our house. This is the case here and in Texas. That can get scary.

kaslkaos said...

Jennifer, I love 'off-topic'; that makes it a real conversation, not a fan club. Had to look up rook, it's a European species, and I'm so glad you care. And, gosh, hope you're feeling okay, read about your numb tongue, etc. on facebook. Best wishes to you.
Michelle, thanks for the rant! It's good to know I don't rant alone, because I'm surrounded by folks with their heads up there..., not to mention Stephen Harper and his pro-climate change stance. Rant, rant, rant...it's starting to feel good.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i see so many birds here that i wouldn't have seen in ontario, its great :) miss blue jays tho :/

phone one of the MS nurses and she decided to put me on steriods...blagh hate them but she doesn't want me getting worse and not able to swallow so the steriods should help

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin