Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Vision Occluded—mixed-media monotype

12092501vision-occluded72
Vision Occluded: Gelatin Monotype overlaid with coloured pencil and ink, 5.5” x 8.5”, available on Etsy
I’m back from holidays (and more (much more) on that later), but I really wanted to get into doing and showing art.  I’m continuing on ‘finishing’ ‘started gelatin prints’ that I’ve had in storage. I fish through the pile, pull one out and let the image dictate the progress. Faces come to the fore, one bit at a time. Themes emerge.  Back to the primitive images that have no known history. It is something I consider much, especially after dealing with a family member with dementia, the question of who are we if we cannot remember our past.  What is our identity if the past is forgotten, or erased. For the individual, it is a complete loss of self, but broaden that, and think we live in a society that constantly, often frivolously, replaces the old with the new.  We race forward, without looking back, and if we do look back, what do we see? Is there anything left to contemplate, absorb, build on?  Is our past culture accessible, or is an incoherent jumble, or like any human memory, eroded and altered.  Has our rush into the future left us in an endless present where our only pursuit is to satisfy immediate desires.
12092501vision-occluded72a
PS. in spite of such a serious and jumbled post, I did have a great holiday by the sea. It’ll take me a year to process thoughts and photo’s on it. Starting that cheery project soon, and pictures of seascape will begin to decorate this blog.

6 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Wow! You've been busy!! I love these new pieces... Going to have to catch up when I get some time.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i've been trying to think of something inelligent to say for this post, but i can't lol and for some reason me just saying i like the art doesn't seem like enough, but i do like it :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle... YOU'VE been busy too.
Jennifer, that's okay. I was trying to think of something intelligent to say too, and, well, you got to read the result ;-)
Maybe we need a class on 'art-speak', because I pretty much suck at that.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

a class on art speak would come in handy, could go to an art gallery and maybe have something constructive to say lol

kaslkaos said...

I would find it useful, just to have something better to comment than "oooh! that's so nice." when I see artwork on someone's blog. Oh well, it'll have to do.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i think any comment on a blog is nice, doesn't matter what it is(well as long as its not"you suck":p)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin