Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hamlet and the Sparrow

12101901hamlet-sparrow72c
This is a close-up. I’m still following the path of my gelatin prints, and letting them speak to me--it is a fascinating journey. This was a red and blue abstract gelatin print using stencils shaped like shards of glass. I actually did not like the cold colours and thought it was ready for the recycle bin, but I hung onto it as scrap for experiments. I always feel more free to create and express feelings, especially the less sociable ones, when using materials I am not invested in. And once again, surprised. Hamlet showed up. Actually, it’s from a whole series of gelatin prints I did while contemplating Hamlet. While I drew in the lines (or found them), it all reminded me so much of Hamlet’s ‘sparrow speech’. I love that speech, it speaks so much of accepting one’s fate, something that is often our only comfort when confronted by a world we cannot control.
Horatio:
If your mind dislike any thing, obey it. I will forestall their
repair hither, and say you are not fit.
Hamlet:
Not a whit, we defy augury. There is special providence in
the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to
come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come—the
readiness is all. Since no man, of aught he leaves, knows what is't
to leave betimes, let be.
Hamlet Act 5, scene 2, 217–224
12101901hamlet-sparrow72a
This is the whole image, 9x12 on mulberry paper, more info at Etsy

3 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Hamlet is one of my favourite plays, in fact it may be my favourite! I see a series in this...

kaslkaos said...

There already are more, but I don't know what to do with them, and yep, more more. Well, we'll see. I do not plan things out, they happen.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

ooh show the others you have done :D the gelatin print background makes it looks like an exploding star :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin