Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Downtown Toronto—art hike in the city

12121102wall-mural-mccaul-streetStreet art at 52 McCaul Street, Toronto, Ontario; a quick google search revealed it to be by Brazilian street artist Nunca, so standing in this parking lot was to be standing in the presence of genius.
12121101wall-mural-mccaul-street Wall mural at 52 McCaul Street, Toronto, Ontario, art by Brazilian street artist Nunca. 
You can see more at this website (be prepared for an awe inspiring experience, better yet, find out if you can visit Nunca’s art in person. Lost Art: NUNCA
12121101ocad-above-ground-art-supplyAbove Ground Art Supply on McCaul Street, with the OCAD extension, giant pencil box, looming over all.
It’s too far for me to count on for artsupplies, but I did treat myself to some Faber-Castel coloured pencils, and a fine-line Prismacolor marker in sepia brown. You will be seeing them in mixed media prints.
12121101mermaid-sculpture-toronto-downtownThis was part of a beautiful set of stone sculptures. I was so completely immersed in the discovery that I forgot to take any note of where or who, and just snapped away.  All I know is that it was relatively near to Union Station, and we had taken an indoor shortcut through a lobby of an office tower, and there, amongst the suits and briefcases, there was magic to be found.  So if anyone knows where, who and what, I would love to add that info in.

UPDATE: THANK YOU TO MR. FUZZY!!!
"The Sedna Legend"
by
Taquialuk Nuna
Phillip Pitseulak
Simata Pitsiulak
George Pratt

Location:70 York Street
Sponsor: HSBC Building
Year: Installed in 1990
Material:Marble

http://www.ruthard.ca/art/downtown/sedna.html
2nd Update, thanks to the Fuzzies -- this one from Tourism Toronto, so it seems that these statues get moved around some:

 I was advised by management that it used to be at 70 York Street in downtown Toronto but has now been relocated to the Exchange Tower, 130 King Street West, Ground Floor, North Atrium.  I was told there are a series of them (4 in total).

You owe myself and Jennifer Rose big time :-P


12121101elephant-toronto-downtownAnd somewhere near the Eaton’s Centre.  I went with this photo (as opposed to a closer crop) as the image of the elephant (life-sized and huge) dwarfed by the corporate office tower most evocative.
Those of you who know me, know that I spend most of my discretionary outdoor time surrounded by leaves and trees. But I also like the pure physical sensation of putting one foot in front of the other at a really good clip. Occasionally, for a change of pace, my husband and I abandon the woods and head for the big TO (downtown Toronto) and do our own little informal walking tour. We don’t have plans, (except to eat dinner somewhere) and so we just wander around. I love the side-streets and bi-ways of the corporate office tower, which seem much like ravines and canyons (but a lot less friendly to wildlife), and I really appreciate architecture. On this last tour, I also stumbled upon some really great art. Unfortunately, I wasn’t planning on blogging it, and never bothered taking note of the locations.
Which is a shame, because I feel very privileged to live near a city where I can see fabulous art without ever stepping foot in a gallery. And, unlike a gallery, sometimes you get to be up-close and personal (see my husband at the elephant).

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i just spent half an house trying to find that statue...no luck :/

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

could probably find it, just need some more info. remember anything about the building? where you went after? its driving me insane trying to find it lol

Mr Fuzzy said...

"The Sedna Legend"
by
Taquialuk Nuna
Phillip Pitseulak
Simata Pitsiulak
George Pratt

Location:70 York Street
Sponsor: HSBC Building
Year: Installed in 1990
Material:Marble

http://www.ruthard.ca/art/downtown/sedna.html

You owe myself and Jennifer Rose big time :-P

Next time remember where your going.....if your not careful you might fall into Lake Ontario....and who knows what you might come out looking like?

kaslkaos said...

Thank You!!! Wow! As you know. Mr. Fuzzy, dare I ask, 'how DID you find it???'
Eternally grateful. Will likely use that link as a guidebook. The story with the legend is amazing too, and I feel much better being able to give proper credit to the artists too.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i thought it looked like an Inuit carving so googled inuit mermaid legends, came up with sedna and then from that john found it in toronto. couldn't find any better pictures then the one you took tho :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin