Thursday, April 11, 2013

More Gelatin Printmaking—WIP’s

13041101great-lynx72WIP
This is an 8x10 WIP. The patterned background is a scan of a gelatin and foam plate print.  The lynx is a scan of a graphite drawing I did ‘inspired’ by the foam plate. I’ve sent MANY a promising start to recycling by putting on that last fatal layer, so I thought, why not be a little left-brained about it and use GIMP (an image editor) to create some virtual mock-ups.  So that’s what I did here, hmmmm…. does it help? Don’t know.  I’m decidedly doing a linocut of that lynx, so one thing accomplished. Sometimes the jellies help me think. The lynx simply would not have happened without the jelly at my side. But I’m still dithering on do I carve the lynx and plop down as is in black ink, or do I build up a few more layers and risk completely mucking things up. Yah, I know, it’s up to me.
Which reminds me. I assisted with the art therapy at the nursing home, and got to sit down with my favourite and famous film-maker artist. He is WONDERFUL, and I am completely in AWE of him in his presence. He gives me hugs now, WOW!  And I can’t say I’m not flattered. But, more often than not, his sketchbook remains frustratingly blank.  He often lifts the pages to revisit past successes, but can’t get past the blank page. I googled him (wouldn’t you), and sure enough, even in his days of success, when asked about his creative process, he spoke of the need to ‘see’ the whole in his mind, before he could put something down on the page.  So what I thought was entirely the tragedy of dementia (or whatever it is he suffers from), I know these hesitations are nothing new, and, well, come to think of it, entirely familiar, because…
Today, we both agreed, as artists, that making art is SCARY. Yes, exactly that, frightening and difficult. The blank page, and every step thereafter, is like leaping off a precipice.  And, with a severe case of schadenfreude somehow I felt better to be in such exalted company and yet have exactly the same fears. Because when I make art, it never feels good until it is finished, and then only, when finished well (that which get tossed into recycling does not feel good at all), and now I know this probably will never change, and while it may be unpleasant, it’s part of the process that gets things done, that get things up to the finish line, and hopefully to success.
So we soldier on, us artists. And as for his sketchbook, we worked together on a fine spring themed collage. He was meticulous with placement and paper-cutting, and I got in there fast, quick with the glue, before he changed his mind. Because I thought, if it were me, I’d need that, else, in my indecisiveness, I go fetch another coffee, check my facebook page yet again, write another blog post, fetch another coffee and don’t get a damn thing done.
Help, quick, anyone have any paste? 
13041102leaves-fuchsia72a Erm…. and here’s another I can’t figure out how to finish, 8x10, fuchsia leaves, foam plate and gelatin. Any hints? Glue and scissors, anybody?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey as an artist and your association with your awesome friend.

LOVE your posts,

Gill (tinpins : )

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I love spending time with seniors. It is wonderful that you have made such a remarkable friend.

Art is scary and when everything is scary, one either stops making art or can't stop.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin