Thursday, April 4, 2013

Temptation—Iowa Print Exchange

temptation-drying-rack2
It’s that time of year again. The Iowa State University Print Exchange.  This years theme, Temptation. MMMMMMmmmm… I decided to have fun with this one.  So, to protect your virgin eyes, the first images are decidedly work safe. If you are thinking of scrolling down…well, you’ve been warned.
temptation-drying-rack1
I need to send 13 of these today, or tomorrow  latest. I love the way the mulberry paper portion curled up into scrolls, very appropriate for the subject matter. As for that, well, blame my catholic up-bringing, but nothing is more intriguing than that which is forbidden, and the Catholic religion has plenty of no-go zones, at least in theory…
temptation-drying-rack5
linocut-temptation72c
Whoops, here it is.  The nudity is not much, but mixing up the religion could offend, so I left you with plenty of warning. The exchange is for post-cards. To protect posties virgin eyes, the white spaces are folded over, and the image sealed from sight with the ‘temptation’ stamp, which is glued on with rice-paste.  Which means that if the recipient wants to enjoy the art within, they will be have to ‘give in to temptation’ and break the seal. I’m hoping they enjoy the irony when they are done.
temptation-drying-rack4temptation-drying-rack3
For myself, I really liked getting a chance to stretch my life drawing skills and give them a good run. And I love some of the more ornate fantasy manga (Japanese comics) with their graphic storytelling and layouts, and that influence is there too.  In other words, I had fun with these.
I have a few saved up (I did 18 as fold-over post-cards) and I plan on doing an 8x10 layout edition later, for now, the 5 additional post-card edition is available on Etsy.
In the meantime, if you don’t mind being struck by lightning, I’ve posted a high-resolution scanned image on FineArtAmerica (if it doesn’t show up, you need to remove the ‘mature’ filter)

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very nice prints :) really need to try mulberry paper

the inside image does have a strong japanese influence, saw that right away



Quiltbug said...

amazing creativity!! I did not get struck down. LOL

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, the mulberry is really nice, haven't figured out how it could be framed though, I don't know much about framing, but it's great to work with.
Thanks Quiltbug, I guess you could just not resist scrolling down, eh?

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

How gothic! Nicely done...

kaslkaos said...

Thank you. Gothic, thanks. Didn't think of that, should have, must add tag....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin