Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sometimes Procrastination is a very good friend

13050901solar-flare72a
Solar Flare, 5”x7” gelatin print and coloured pencil on Stonehenge paper.
I confess, I am pretty excited about this one, it was a really really good surprise. You may wonder, how I can be surprised at my own work, but the truth is, I just don’t know when I begin a piece where I am going with it. I just have to start, continue, and see what happens. Often enough, it goes into the trash.
This one began as a rather pale gelatin print start. It must have had something going for it, because I’ve held it my pile for a very long time. I was about to trash it on the day I decided to begin tackling Claudette’s piece in our collaboration. I confess I was too intimidated to do anything but look at her submission, but shied right away from actually doing anything to it.
I did think her work would be an ideal chance to experiment with inscribed line technique and coloured pencil, but I thought it would be best to do up a sample on some ‘scrap’.  So I pulled up my gelatin start and began making marks. I was unafraid, since the work was destined for trash any way. And then I got to liking it.
IMG_6352Here it is when I was just beginning to think, hmmmm….
And below are close-ups. I work very small, so it’s all in the details. After finishing this one off, and proudly posting it to Etsy, I was brave enough to put a line or two into Claudette’s artwork. I’ve done my ‘practice’ piece, after all. So while I can waste huge amounts of precious time procrastinating, this procrastination was time well spent. I don’t think this piece would have happened at all if I hadn’t been too afraid to touch that other work.
13050901solar-flare72b
13050901solar-flare72c
13050901solar-flare72d
13050901solar-flare72e
My etsy printmaking portfolio, Solar Flare and others on display.

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

gorgeous colours! so much movement to it :D brings to mind the phoenix tale

kaslkaos said...

I never thought of that...almost should rename it that, look and the story of the piece go together.

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Jennifer Rose has the right name for it! Gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin