Thursday, May 23, 2013

You Win Some, You Lose Some

13052301twisted-tree-gelatin-print72
8.5x11 inch gelatin plate relief print with coloured pencil
13052302twisted-tree-gelatin-print72
8x10 inch gelatin plate relief print with coloured pencil

Win some, with these, I hope, but halfway through, I considered both disasters. Gelatin printing is one of those infinitely unpredictable processes, which is exactly what I love about it. It is so exciting when I turn over the page to reveal something beautiful. But more often than not, it is less than that.  This is part of the process, but what really bothers me, is to build up a print of many layers, and then adding that one, ‘what was I thinking?’ indelible disastrous layer. The first became one such, when I added a plain brown relief print layer (the tree). There was nothing in the layers below to tie in the nut brown I’d rolled out. I cannot even begin to explain why I made such a decision, only that I did it. Ooops, and that made me sad. I put it aside.
Often, with such prints, I revisit them days/weeks/months later. In this case, I was very pleased with how the ultramarine coloured pencil applied over the brown pulled everything together, and coloured pencil over thick pebbled relief printing ink makes for an interesting texture indeed.
For the second, I had what I felt was an interesting beginning, and decided to overlay the tree with a two step process…that is, I ink the foam plate, press the ink plate onto the gelatin, which transforms and breaks up the ink, but when I lifted the paper to view the result, it was clear that the background and foreground were at war with one another.  Back to the desk, then.
This one was more touch and go, but in the end, I liked the result. Mulberry pencil strengthened the tree and pushed the background back where it belonged, and I filled a bright negative space with dancing ravens. Done. These two are going into my Etsy Nature and Outdoors Section
IMG_6228Foam plate in progress. Positive space, tree, gently inked in with marker so as to make no indentation. Negative spaces inked in ball point pen. The ink is irrelevant, the pressure of the pen depresses the foam to make the negative space of a relief print.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i really like these :) you give me so many ideas and ways to make a gelli print, thank you :)
really like all the lines in the tree on that one print, gives it a lot of texture and life

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer. I really like the 2 step, ie, placing an inked image onto gelatin first, the challenge for me is that the image is weak in comparison to the background (hence the pencil work). Experiment away. I love what your doing with the jellies too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin