Tuesday, July 30, 2013

GIMP-Glowing Rainbow Text Outlines

gimp-tutorial-outline-text-grow2
Glowing Rainbow Text Effect using GIMP, and as my memory sucks, I’ll turn this into a blog post and tutorial in hopes of committing it to the memory banks.
If you already have the basics, but are not already a GIMP-geek, this may help.

gimp-tutorial-outline-text-grow1
Here’s what you get if you use a solid fill of turquoise on your textoutline layer, and drop the layer below the brown main text.  The rainbow colours are the result of using a large brush with fuzzy transparent edges and drop in some colours. For the top image, I took an extra step, and duplicated the original text, repeated the ‘path’ instructions but ommitted ‘grow’ and dropped in some other colours into the original brown text.
Now I hope I have this thoroughly memorized and never need read this again.
Also, highly recommend having the The Book of GIMP, by Olivier Lecarme and Karine Delvare.  Mine is thanks to the foresight of Whitchurch-Stouffville Library, I’ll be borrowing it often. I also did some searches for tutorials that were helpful, but in the end, still had to muddle through to get it all down.
Have fun.

PS. It also works with line drawings, select by colour, and 'grow selection' etc.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin