Saturday, July 13, 2013

Owl Pussy Cat Mermaid Art

13041801linocut-owl-and-pussycat72
Here's a very keyword friendly linocut. Cats and Owls are both very popular, apparently. So I thought I'd mash it all together, and heck, the Owl and Pussycat Edward Lear poem gives me an excuse to throw in a keyword friendly Silvery Moon and Small Guitar.
I can be sarcastic about all this, but it turns out that I fell in love with this one. It started out with a very sarcastic sketch, inspired by my re-reading the poem, EGADS! I wouldn't want to be that cat.  And then there was Rambo at my side, who forever wears a sour jaded expression (with catsonality to match) and it came rather quickly together. Carving it into life was another story, that took days and hours, but the waves were exciting… almost justifies, heck it DOES JUSTIFY the multitude of hours I've spent watching waves swish, smash and dance upon the beaches of Lake Superior. Burned right into my mind they are… so I gave my latest Mermaid a similar treatment.
13070901mermaid-linocut72
She was conceived with some help from Art Models 2 for the pose, the seaweed strewn rocky perch is a memory from my first and only trip to the ocean. 
seaweed
If the watermarks are bigger and more prominent than usual, that's because I was unfortunately reminded of the myth and attitude that unattributed art found on the web is fair game for all including commercial use. Sad, sad, sad.  I am more than ever grateful to those of you who seek out and purchase original art. Thank you, thank you, thank you for believing in fair payment for labour.
Both are available at Etsy:
Owl and Pussycat,
Mermaid
As always, just looking is absolutely free.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin