Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Life Drawing Tuesday

13092602figure_drawing
Viola, (figure drawing from live model) on A4 heavy paper in sepia coloured pencil.
13092601female-nude-drawing
In the Limelight, (figure drawing, life drawing) on 9x12 pastel paper.
After a long hiatus, I’m back at life drawing again.  Not just figure drawing, but drawing from a live modelling session.  The dynamics are so different. This year I'll be working in standard sizes, 9x12 or under because I’m tired of accumulating reams of large un-shippable art. 9x12 and under can be mailed via lettermail and Canada Post does a good job with this, and there is standard pricing for Canada, USA, and International.  Another way the online universe can shift art and the artist. In my case, I have a marked preference for small format art, so I perhaps am using it as excuse to do what comes naturally.  That said, I had been working in larger sizes, partially to prove that I could, and the only real draw back is storage and shipping…so will be keeping things small this year.
The irony of it all, is that the Latcham Gallery now has kindly included horses (these are benches that you straddle to accommodate artists using very large boards). I tried attaching my 9x12 to a big board, but my shoulder got sore, so I put my pad down between my knees and propped up on a pencil box. That worked fabulous. In fact, the more upright posture for my back, and dropped shoulders helped me stay awake and comfortable, so I’ll be doing that again.
I will still have to hit the books occasionally, though, as I saw the model roster, and of 10 sessions, only 1 male model is booked, so I will need photo reference if I want to do male nudes. I miss Greg. Really really miss Greg. Greg, if you’re out there, please come back. We old ladies can be a bit prudish but really do appreciate a good model (sigh). Long story there if you can read between the lines. We sadly lack male models right now.

Life Drawing on Etsy

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

the college calls those seats donkeys :p i hate them lol kill my back

i have no idea if we are going to have a male model this year, we didnt last year :/ not much of a life drawing class if different sexes and shapes are not represented :/

kaslkaos said...

Horses sound better, no? I guess you don't get a choice?
Too bad about the male models. The artmodels series of books is pretty useful for that, although 2D images don't give the same level of practice, at least you can get the anatomy.
Or you could hang out at a warm sunny beach... :-)

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

yeah i'm going to have to save up for some classes at the uni or the other college so i can draw both sexes

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin