Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Life Drawing Tuesday—Greg is back!!!

Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it!
IMG_8419 Gary, life drawing, coloured pencil, tracing of life drawing to transfer to an in-studio pastel
What a surprise, after whining on the blog, and to my husband, about the lack of male models in our last session (1 in 10 sessions), guess what, we get Gary twice in a row (I’m working on a studio pastel of Gary), and then Greg. Remember Greg, infamous Greg (Hi Greg!), turns out he googles himself (and who doesn’t) and read my blog. Given my frankness, just a wee bit embarrassing, but he’s back! And yes, he is a fabulous model, and as professional as I thought him to be. Communication, good communication, is a slippery thing, and some of us are just lousy at it, like me. At least in person. It turns out, on the blog, I must of said just the right thing, because Greg read it, and returned, Yay!  I don’t really speak for the group, but safe to say, we were pleased to have him back. I’m not sure how I feel about the long pose (my own work, not the pose), but I’ll post it (below) anyway. Maybe it needs work, or it is what it is, or it will grow on me. Pastel and coloured pencil.  One of the reasons I like shorter poses (20, 30, even 45 minute is that if I paint myself into a proverbial corner I get another kick at the can (pardon my clichés), but there are other artists who love a chance to get every detail just right, and other artists better than me who can get it right the first time and build from there for hours on end.  Nope, we are not all created equal.
IMG_8420 Greg, life drawing, oil pastel, and coloured pencil, this was a long pose (90 minutes), and I had a bit of a war with it, but honestly the hand really was hidden, I didn’t invent the drapery just to hide it (but that would be a clever cheat, huh?), but it was there, really, and I’m not so good at hands as to be able to just wing it (I did try).

So, lesson learned, be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. In this case, it was a good wish, and I’m glad. Thanks Greg!
PS. If you have no idea what I’m talking about in regards to greg, you'll just have to go back and read "life drawing tuesdays" or engage in some targeted googling (spell checker seriously dislikes the latter verb)

4 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

LOL! Good for you...
Enjoy!!

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I forgot to add how much I liked the first one. The body language is so beautifully captured without giving up an ounce of your flowing style.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, I can't win 'em all, but yep, that 1st turned out, which is why I'm so afraid to touch it, I'm tracing it for a re-do.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i have a life drawing workshop next week, but i am not holding my breath there will be a male model to draw :/

hopefully he sees this post and realizes how much it is appreciated he is a life drawing model :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin