Monday, April 14, 2014

Three Horses, The First Horse

140409Night-Sky-Horse1c
Here is Night Sky Horse. Night Sky is 8x8 inches, as it is one of three submissions to the 8x8 Show at 337 Sketch Gallery in Hamilton. I never did ask for clarification about the Year of the Horse being optional or mandatory. I began with three abstract (deciding to interpret the theme as ‘optional’ but was unsatisfied with the results).  I took the one that bothered me the most for being too strident, soulless, and unfixable, and buried under 5 layers of opaque acrylic paint.  Then I strategically swiped off layers using an alcohol soaked cloth (hint, do this outdoors, it stinks).  When the original monoprint collage revealed itself again, I brought it in, sketched a horse in paint, and carried on with layers of acrylic both opaque and transparent until it declared itself finished. The wings where a surprise. They just ‘happened’ and I try not to get in the way of these ‘happenings’, and it fact, the horse ‘just happened’ too, except I admit to hoping desperately for a horse to appear on command.
IMG_8445
The centre square is the beginning. The blue background is a gelatin monoprint pasted onto hardboard, and the torn yellow pieces are previous collage using several gelatin prints, which I tore apart for this piece.

3 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Gorgeous! Almost primitive...

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

love all of the colours :D

kaslkaos said...

Thanks, Michelle and Jennifer, and yes, primitive, I was thinking of old old stylized horses.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin