Friday, May 30, 2014

Burnt Toast

Ugh, just finished blasting four hours of work. At this point, I want to tear my hair out and give up. Instead, maybe it's a good time to write a blog post and whine in your ear about it.
For those of you who follow on instagram, you've already seen what I believe to be a promising start. Well, it is toast now. I don't know what I was thinking, but I started to burnish far to early, and now, well, there is just nothing whatsoever that I can do to fix and move on, or start over; and starting over is way to frustrating at this point in time.
And here's the thing, I've been working on my sketchbook, and it is becoming deliciously fat. Better yet, I am seriously liking some of the compositions therein. They are, to me, lovely as they are, but I think I should take some of them further. Linocuts are an obvious choice, but not much of a stretch artistically. I was thinking more in terms of paintings, pastels and coloured pencil.
Which I thought would be easy. It is not. I'll the save the more successful "transfers" for another post, but here's the coloured pencil. I think I was in a hurry. After trying out acrylics, I just couldn't believe it took me four hours to get to this stage,



So I had the brilliant idea (not) to use white and colourless blender pastel on top to, heck, I don't know, well, there it is, here's the burnt toast.



Here's the original pen drawing from my sketchbook:



And for those of you who want an overview of what I've been up to of late, http://instagram.com/kaslkaos#

PS.  It doesn't look half as awful in the photograph, but trust me, it's wrecked, flat muddy texture and colour in one too many areas. Oh well.
posted from Bloggeroid

4 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Pull out the acrylics!
And yes - I'd love to see you take some of the ideas you've had further. You've done pretty amazing stuff. A dud has to happen and when the expectations hit zero, there is room for miracles!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks! Makes me think I should phone up Shell Lumber and get them to cut me some 9x12's, still a manageable size that may be able to handle some of those lines...will see. Consoling myself with crochet today though

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

i really like this scene, please try again with it when you feel like it :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, me too...I think that's why I got so frustrated about it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin