Thursday, June 26, 2014

Beyond Burnt Toast-Acrylic Painting, Wolf and Stag

9x12inch acrylic painting, Wolf and Stag
I think it's finished, I really do. I'm just unsure, as acrylic painting is still a whole new medium for me, and if this is finished, then, as usual, I'm wandering through my own stylistic thicket; this does not look like anything I learned about in art school. And I'm still in discovery mode: I could take this further, more layers, opaque paint, fixing small details, but I'm still getting over Burnt Toast, so I won't be touching it again anytime soon, if ever. I might add some white highlights, warm tints and the odd line touch-ups, but not today.
detail, wolf
I am very happy with this. I was unsure how I would transition a black and white line drawing into a colour painting, and it can go in so many different directions but I do think this one brings across the thoughts and feelings scraped from the back of the brain that drives this image.
detail of leaf

As for technique, fun, fun, fun. I collected leaf duff and earth from my favourite forest walk, and added it into the last layer of gesso, for an indulgent romp with texture. Then I transferred an enlargement of my original drawing to the masonite board using graphite paper (paper coated with pencil) and began painting in the lines. I embedded some silk-thin leaves in the next transparent gel layer, and then did successive washes and rubs of paint, more line work, etc.. Somewhere along the way, the fun dissappeared and the fear took over and the "picking away at it stage" began. Uck. But then I went camping for a few days, and when I got home, realize, Yay! I think it's done. Posted. Thanks for looking.






pen & ink
posted from Bloggeroid

4 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

It's a great composition in any form! Nicely done!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, the new brushes really help.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

love the colours. they make the piece look like it is on fire and the wolf is not chasing the deer but they are both running from fire....probably seeing too much into it :p

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer! I'm not so literal with my pics, interpret as you wish.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin