Thursday, July 31, 2014

Your Thoughts are Not My Thoughts

Oil Pastel on 8.5x11inch Canson Mi-Tientes Pastel Paper


We all struggle with it, artist's block, writer's block, insecurity.

I was reading a back issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, and as there often is, there was an article on beating artist's block. This one was a keeper. It's not that there was anything new, momentous or life changing about the article, but it somehow resonated with me enough to think, I need to keep this handy for those mornings (or entire days) when I have trouble getting the old engine started.
This morning, coffee in hand, I reread the article, hoping to come up with a plan, and "Make Bad Art" jumped out at me. I've been testing out oil pastels outside of life drawing, but I always get too careful, hesitant, or simply abandon a piece before I finish. I thought, Make Bad Art is a great opportunity to ditch all that hesitation and give myself permission to squash flat with pastel a lovely pristine white sheet of Canson Mi-Tientes Pastel Paper. I usually treat such things as gold and just fidget away my time.
This time, I just picked up a pastel (violet purple, why not?) and went to it, letting each stroke inform the next. Soon enough thoughts were forming, the title flowed from my scribbings, the disconnect between us, the impossibility of knowing another's thoughts, perhaps even the disconnect between what we think we are feeling and what we actually think. Meaty thoughts for an artist, so my Make Bad Art turned into an exciting adventure.
At the same time, conflict between peoples loomed large on the radio. I listen to talk radio while I work, for the company, the conversations and the discourse. CBC is my favourite (when they are being newsworthy). While I worked, I listened to a CBC interview about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and I can't help but think that turmoil, the conflict, and the disparate points of view from two people inextricably linked and separate all at once crept into my image. Because art does not come from a vacuum. What we see and hear influences our thoughts, and our thoughts make the art.




posted from Bloggeroid

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very powerful piece of art

kaslkaos said...

Thanks! ;-)

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Fascinating piece...
And yes - breaking the block requires letting go of all expectations. Sounds easy, doesn't it? LOL!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, and agreed. As in, had no repeat performance this morning, blah...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin