Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sock Selfie’s on Rhyolite Cove, Lake Superior Provincial Park

IMG_8692
Welcome to Rhyolite Cove; if you don’t have a back-pack, you can get there after scrabbling across rocks for 2 1/2 hours, and then you get to do it all over again, because you don’t have a back-pack. It’s part of the Lake Superior Provincial Park Coastal hiking trail. I hate backpacks, but love hiking, so instead, we do some very long day-hikes to push in as far as we can go.  We bring lunch, camera, and this time I brought along my crocheted Hot Rocks Socks, which I improvised from the toe-up. The plan was to make socks that looked like rhyolite (the red rock you see here) and I think I succeeded.
IMG_8663IMG_8661IMG_8662
A still wave fed pool carved out of the rhyolite.
By the time we get there, we need a long lunch, plus, the wave-action on the rocks is absolutely fascinating.
IMG_8651
Pretty typical trail section on the way to, or from Rhyolite Cove.
IMG_8698
Getting into Fatman’s Dike. This one is just off the trail, and it’s not marked by a look-out post.  It is on one of my maps, just north of a raised cobble beach, curiosity will get you there, otherwise, you’ll walk on by.
IMG_8702
The view from within Fatman’s Dike, where we enjoy ‘second lunch’.
IMG_8711
And the rest of the trail is pretty spectacular too. I never get bored of watching waves crashing on rocks.
IMG_8669
So when I’m not making art, I’m making socks
and watching waves crashing on rocks,
and then I bore you with multiple photographs of doing both at once….
forgive me…

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

people ask me all the time if I miss Canada, and the only thing I say I miss is the scenery
great photos, and love the bright socks :D

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Gorgeous... The socks too!! :-)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer & Michelle, and the sock fits too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin