Friday, October 16, 2015

Having a Plein Air Day--landscape art in the great outdoors

IMG_0269-72
9x12inches, sharpie marker and oil pastel, image below, the view from my chair.
IMG_0271
So I checked the forecast this morning, sunny, partly cloudy, windspeed 10km/h, temp 10C rising to 11C, windspeed rising to 20km/h, cloudy by noon, rain by 3pm—very important information if you want to paint outdoors a half hour walk from home.  Other important considerations are the input/output ratio and timeframe in terms of how long does it take for that wonderful dark and rich morning cup of coffee to percolate through and beg for release.  No one mentions that aspect in the art books, I’ll bet, but then there is the speculation that Tom Thompson fell out of his canoe to an early death doing just such a thing. 
So maybe I have no need to wonder why I haven’t done more plein air sketches/drawing/painting (whatever you want to call it), but these autumn colours and good weather will not last, and it I really wish I’d started sooner. I never did because ‘I don’t do realism’ so couldn’t see an excuse to go out tramping through the woods (which I do for exercise) and call it art. Dragging all my gear along seemed unnecessary.
IMG_0250-72
And a whole lot of work.
But I did it.  Having a long neglected serious hiking backpack helps carry the load, and it is a load. This morning was my second day in a row, and my hips hurt.  But I still would love to do this every day if I could, but snow is coming (wet flurries possible tomorrow), so by next week it’ll be back to studio, imagination, and the occasional photo to jog the memory banks.
ooooh, one more picture, in case you’re hankering for a snack (drawing is brainwork, and brain cells need feeding)
IMG_0267-72
Yes, apples, lots of apples, endless apples in this places, different sizes, different flavours, wonderful apples.

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

you don't need to draw realistically to do draw outside ;) often its better not too. pieces can have nore energy to them :) def is a lot of work tho to get everything together. well unless you happen to own a mule to carry everything for you lol

kaslkaos said...

I felt like a mule (or is that a fool) lugging a ginormous backpack through the neighbourhood.
As for energy, yes, somehow, even though I'd parcelled out 3 hours (which my bladder reduced by a half hour) I still felt a sense of urgency, egads, that sounds bad, well, okay, true, as in, get these lines down NOW! before I need to pee---shhhh, don't think about pee, thank goodness I wasn't doing a watercolour. Do not do plein air after the first morning coffee, nope.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

get a she wee and pee behind a bush like a guy would ;)

kaslkaos said...

Ewww...I guess I started this whole topic, though didn't I? (The best conversations do get hidden in the comments, don't they?)

Michelle B. Hendry said...

LOL! I didn't know what that was, but I made a good guess!

Nature is inspiration and painting in it can be wonderful. Who says it needs to be realistic or even representational? Where better to feel than the field? :-) I love the the piece you posted. And the photos. Looks like a very successful outing.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

lol yep you started it ;) :p

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle. It may sound weird, but the art looks more real to me than the photo, and it's fun to compare the two.

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Proof that we all see so differently! The key is to appreciate every authentic point of view. I sometimes wish I saw what you see!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin