Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Life Drawing Tuesday

IMG_0341
Life Drawing, 1 hour pose, 9x12inches, coloured pencil & oil pastel.
IMG_0344
Life Drawing, 20 minutes? (can’t remember), coloured pencil on letter-sized paper.
If you haven’t already guessed, my Life Drawing Tuesday drawing’s are from last week. I’m not good at staying up late, and 9:30pm is what I call late, so I blog them another day, like today, which is Tuesday, and one of those brilliant sunny Autumn days. The leaves in the trees are brilliant russet hues, gold, red, and burnt sienna, but fewer and fewer every day.  I really want to get out there, and capture them with my pastels, even as they are falling.
So you might wonder, what’s up with the nudes? Why would an artist who loves nature and natural things, and wandering around and in untamed landscapes, and often prefers the company of animals to people, why would that person want to draw naked people. 
Life drawing teaches so much, just by setting up the circumstance, the limited time, the focus, it forces an artist to use their eyes and their instincts, to just let go, to observe try new mediums and new methods. And teaches me to stay on task, no fridge, no cats, no internet…
And I learned that I am perfectly capable of carting about a complete and comprehensive full colour art kit including comfy chair, which all leads to this:
IMG_0315
Ink, coloured pencil, oil pastel, 9x12 paper.
IMG_0317
Same chair, same tools, same techniques, different subject. And truly, the landscape is as much alive as the models that sit for us artists on Tuesdays.

IMG_0319

And my travelling art kit, all of it.  I leave the camera at home for life drawing, though…

3 comments:

Michelle B. Hendry said...

I understand the nature thing... I seem to be doing people lately! But you're right, you learn so much from drawing them.
Autumn colours really seem to get you going! Some really nice plein air!

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

love the colours :)

life drawing is def. something all artists should do, a class can do wonders for skill improvement :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, yep, practice is good.
Thanks Michelle, yes, you're doing people, and I'm doing landscapes. Funny how that happens...it's always good to stretch.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin