Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Life Drawing Tuesdays—Longer Poses and Pastels

IMG_0080
10  minutes pose and a pencil.
IMG_0077
1 hour pose, oil pastel.  I actually had a start for a different pose on the page, laid down in white & yellow, then, during break, just started scribbling colour over the entire page. When the model sat for this pose, I had a fully coloured page (light colours) and drew in the lines directly, eventually scraped back everything, then added in more oil pastel, and a little coloured pencil.
IMG_0076
20 minutes, I must have been thinking of snow. Snow Queen.
IMG_0078
And our previous nights model.  Black lines are graphite on oil pastel, which always generates a rich black. 
Fun fact: remember all that ‘scraping back’ I talk about?  I literally scrape off layers of oil pastel with an art knife. I guess I’m overly thrifty, as I decided to collect the scrapings, press them together, and voila, lovely lavender nuanced grey tone, so much better than the dead grey of a solid colour (I never actually use grey pastel because of that).  Must get a close-up next time I use my recycled scrap pastel ‘stick’.

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

not overly thrift at all! resourceful! :)

kaslkaos said...

Naw, I was just being cheap, but the result is fabulous.

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Smart. Love the fluidity of the first one!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks! A nice soft 6B pencil has a sensuality of it's own.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin