Monday, December 21, 2015

Revealing my Inner Abstract



8x10 oil pastel on paper

After all those dog portraits, I really badly need to cut loose, so I've worked on some full on abstracts.  It felt great to work with colour, texture, form and composition completely unfettered.  This one is on rough watercolour paper.  It takes very thick layers of pastel to mash out the white bits.

early rough stage

after some scraping & more layers

And this one is oil pastel on gessoed masonite. Which was a fascinating exercise. So much texture and layering on what is almost a flat surface. I have no wip's for this, I just want to sink into the painting and go.

Mmmmm, texture



Where to next, who knows....

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very nice :) reminds me of stained glass work but with more energy

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Yes! Very much a hint of stained glass... Happy New Year!

kaslkaos said...

Belatedly, thanks Jennifer! I've been ignoring my blog over Christmas, sorry about that. Once the holidays are over...
Happy 2016 Michelle, and thanks.
Happy 2016 Jennifer!!! And all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin