Sunday, January 10, 2016

Notes from the Sketchbook--Stone Paper and Oil Pastel


My current sketchbook is made of Stone Paper/Terraskin and it's a lovely chance to explore and experiment with it's properties. Using a sharpie marker or other marker, the ink absorbs and lays flat/stays put, but does not bleed through.  Oil pastel, ditto.  I really really like it, love it actually, especially with it's eggshell texture that is enough tooth to work but not distracting the way some pastel papers are.  The above sketch is #5.  I often have trouble making art, finding inspiration, or even 'wanting to'. One trick is just lay down random letters, numbers and symbols and take it from there. This one started in sharpie marker, then layered over with oil pastel, scraped back and more oil pastel. Colour over black sharpie fascinates me.
So, yep, another head scratcher, any word will do, better to make something than nothing.

This one actually began with the words Sass & Pizzaz; if you look hard enough, maybe you'll find them.
Another full on abstract. There's some Copic marker in bottom layer (bright yellow, hot pink). I'm trying them out for the first time.  Also, tried adding gold oil-based printing ink (gold blobs), but I didn't want to give them the time to dry, so I put was paper on top which squished them flat so I could move on to the next sketch.




5 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

love all the colours :D

don't think you can get Terraskin here, have to try ebay to see if I can find it there to try

kaslkaos said...

I wonder if there are similar things under a different name. It kind of feels like softened eggshells.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

there might be, going to have to do a little research :)

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Love the graffiti! Letting out your inner street artist?

kaslkaos said...

I wish, Michelle, but nope, letters & numbers & abstract is my 'go to' crutch when my mind draws nothing but blank pages. That said, it's a delightful crutch.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin